Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm Sorry Video.

This video makes me cry every time. Volunteering in a shelter, I've seen half of these happen first hand. The one that made me the angriest was one time seeing someone bring in an older cat for surrender, all the while, allowing their children to run around, asking about picking out a new kitten. It made me sick to my stomach as I know how traumatizing it must have been for their older cat to be brought into a new strange place and watch its family walk out the door forever. I could just imagine them doing the same thing to their new kitten, 10 years down the road.




* I'm just traveling too much. I'm sorry.
* We are moving. I'm sorry.
* He's just too old now. I'm sorry.
* He's impossible to train. I'm sorry.
* She has too much energy. I'm sorry.
* The shelter can find you a better home. I'm sorry.
* I didn't realize they needed to go to the vet this much. I'm sorry.
* I had no idea a puppy was this much work. I'm sorry.
* I don't believe in spaying or neutering my dog. I'm sorry.
* I no longer have the time. I'm sorry.
* We are remodeling. I'm sorry.
* We just had a baby. I'm sorry.
* We are getting a divorce. I'm sorry.
* My landlord just found out I have a dog. I'm sorry.
* The kids of outgrown the dog. I'm sorry.
* I just don't want a dog anymore. I'm sorry.


*I am dependent on YOU to take care of ME. I am affected by YOUR decisions. A victim of your excuses. And suffering from your APOLOGIES . Please think SERIOUSLY before you add me to your family. 

--- I wanted to post this blog today, as the holidays near, as I know many families like to buy pets for their children for a Christmas present.  Please watch the video above and as it says above, think seriously before you make an addition to your family. A pet is supposed to be a life long commitment. Not a when it's convenient commitment. ---

Now don't get me wrong. I fully understand that in some cases it is absolutely necessary to have to surrender your dog to a shelter. I've seen families (now more than ever) that have had to give up their beloved pet as they are no longer able to financially afford it, or lost their home due to the recession and had to give up their pet. I've seen people come into the shelter heartbroken and crying. I understand these situations and can't even fathom to imagine the pain that their heart feels. I don't place blame for our over crowded in shelters on these legit reasons. What I don't understand is habitual offenders, people that go through multiple pets in a years time. People that surrender one dog, get another, and surrender it a few months later. Repeat offenders I guess you'd say. And I reallyreally wish more people understood the importance of spaying and neutering. Sure, those 8 little puppies are cute but where will those puppies be a year from now?

Have you ever looked at your local SPCA or animal services statistics? They are very disturbing. Here's a look at my local stats for two shelters in my COUNTY. This isn't statewide, just one small county. 

2009  Animal Shelter Statistics

* Animal Services*
- 8787 dogs impounded or surrendered
- 2582 dogs adopted out or reunited with owner
- 6152 dogs EUTHANIZED

- 14841 cats impounded or surrendered
- 478 cats adopted out or reunited with owner
- 14335 cats EUTHANIZED

*SPCA, Inc*
-- 3343 dogs surrendered
-- 1162 dogs adopted out or reunited with owner
-- 465 dogs EUTHANIZED

I am thinking seriously about starting an animal blog. My passion is definitely with non profit and charitable work and animal shelters are a big part of that for me. It is my goal to raise shelter awareness not just locally but globally. I want to somehow, some day, make a career out of doing what I love (helping animals). I figure a blog may be a simple start.

Maybe you can spread this video on. :)

XOXO.

 
Day 23: Something I wish I'd done in my life? Well, there is no sense in wishing! I am still here, so what better time than now, to make my wishes come true? I will find a way to incorporate my passion for helping animals be some type of career for me.

Day 1: Something you hate about yourself. Day 2: Something you love about yourself. Day 3: Something you have to forgive yourself for. Day 4: Something you have to forgive someone for. Day 5: Something you hope to do in your life.
Day 6: Something you hope you never have to do.
Day 7: Someone who has made your life worth living for.
Day 8:
Someone who made your life hell, or treated you like shit.
Day 9: Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.
Day 10: Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.
Day 11: Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
Day 12: Something you never get compliments on.
Day 13: A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)
Day 14: A hero that has let you down. (letter)
Day 15: Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.
Day 16:
Someone or something you definitely could live without.
Day 17:
A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.
Day 18:
Your views on gay marriage.
Day 19:
What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?
Day 20:
Your views on drugs and alcohol.
Day 21:
(scenario) Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?
Day 22:
Something you wish you hadn’t done in your life.
Day 23: Something you wish you had done in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment