Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Jaded Beauty - Project 31, Day 6

Day 6: Jaded beauty.  Has the world's definition of beauty ever jaded you?

What exactly IS the definition of beauty? Well, according to the dictionary, it is: the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest)

When I think of the "worlds" definition of beauty I think of: what others think about me, being successful, popularity, being pursued by the opposite sex, physical appearance, and being wealthy to name a few. Look all around you, you will see billboards with supposed definitions of beauty. "If you drink this beer, you will have this beautiful girl".


Those definitions above, as seen by the "world" are not what true beauty is, and they can easily jade a person. I was over weight in middle school and was picked on, and called a lesbian, all because of my appearance. I wasn't popular, so because of societies definition of beauty, I did not feel beautiful at all. It killed my self esteem. Thankfully, once I hit high school my "baby fat" naturally started coming off, and I became comfortable in my own skin. I am by far a size 1 (the pants I am in now are a size 9) and I am okay with that. When I do try to lose weight, it's for health reasons, not because I am unhappy with my appearance. I love who I am!

What exactly IS beauty? Beauty is found on the INSIDE, it's what is in your HEART. It is NOT physical appearance. You can be a beautiful super model and have an ugly personality which in turn makes you ugly to others. Self esteem is beautiful. Loving and accepting yourself is beautiful. Forgiving others is beautiful. Happiness and laughter is beautiful. Helping others is beautiful. Thinking of someone or something besides "me myself and I" is beautiful.


So, in summary, yes, the worlds definition of beauty may have jaded me during middle school, but I was able to over come it by becoming comfortable in my skin and realizing that beauty is so much more than just skin deep. It's what is on the inside. If you haven't realized that by now, I hope you can take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that you too are beautiful, regardless of how you measure up to societies view of beauty.

Wanna participate in Project 31? Check out Mandy's blog to find out how.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment